Monday, September 27, 2010

The Seventh Day

The person who coined the phrase "Sunday is a day of rest" was most definitely a man.

There is NO resting for me on the seventh day, and it's driving me slowly insane. I miss the days of peaceful worshiping and spiritual growth. Sunday's for me now go something like this:

Wake up Get woken up {6:30 a.m.}.
Make breakfast {Hootenanny Pancakes. Every Sunday.}
Get a call from the home teachers saying they want to visit after church.
Clean the house so the home teachers can visit after church.
Bathe the children.
Iron everyone's clothes.
Realize I'm still in my bathrobe when they come to collect Fast Offerings, so quickly hide with the children behind the couch until they leave {Matt is inevitably in the shower whenever they come}.
Prepare the Fast Offering to take to church.
Take a shower and do my hair {if I'm lucky}.
Make lunch.
Dress the children.
*you may be asking where Matt is during all this.....two words- football season. {and he's usually dead tired because he's had a sleep-over with the kids downstairs the night before}
Go to church.
Sit on the bench {starting order- Matt, Lincoln, Jackson, Kensie, me & Landon}.
Matt gets asked to help with the Sacrament.
Children turn into holy terrors.
New bench order- Lincoln, me, Jackson, Kensie & Landon
Children giggle. Children fight. I pinch. I give "the look". People around me fear for their lives.
Matt comes back.
I leave with the baby to enjoy the meeting in the foyer.
I stay in the foyer for the next hour because the baby is dead tired and will NOT go to sleep and is only happy when I'm walking around.
I go to Young Women's where thankfully there are a billion willing babysitters who coo and coddle the wee one and I get to sit and listen to the lesson.
Come home.
Make dinner.
Children do sundry things to get on my nerves.
Family prayer {where the person praying always seems to bless us that we can be nice to one another. Could have used that prayer in the morning}.
Put the kids to bed.
Eat ice cream and watch Food Network {ahhhh, now there's the "rest"!}


*okay, okay. Not every Sunday is like this.........


Sometimes I don't have to make dinner.

Pin It

6 comments:

brooke said...

Holy Crap! Best post ever. I hate Sundays because they are EXACTLY like this. Football Season makes me a widow and I'm so bitter about it all day on Sunday. AAGH!

Jane said...

Love your post! We have church at 8:30 and Scott leaves for meetings that start at 6am so it is up to me to get the kiddos there. Definitely not calm and peaceful at our house. Even though we've put clothes out the night before someone always ends up throwing a fit about what they'd chosen previously. "It is itching me" Then comes the screaming from me "I know it is itching/bugging you but put it on anyway"....Then we can't find Sunday shoes so one child has worn crocs the past couple of Sundays....Then when we are finally loaded in the car and pulling out of the driveway, I'm advised that they are hungry. (Nevermind that I'd advised them to eat something previously)...I say too bad and then we have a joyful drive to church. Once we get to church, hopefully we will sit in the pew without us fighting over who gets to sit where. The people in front of and behind us are usually very kind and state that we weren't bothering them. If I can manage it I try to sit behind other people that have children. They will still like me at the end. Oh the joy!

Amy M. said...

SO TRUE, all of it. You are spot on, Darla.
Funny post.

Papi and Wee Granny said...

Ask your Bishop to talk to your husband privately about no TV on the Sabbath. He'll feel withdrawal, but as an emotionally mature adult (??), he'll man up and deal with it. Especially after you have a private conversation with him about working as a team on Sunday after church. Perhaps you'll even both get naps!

deemom said...

We used to have days like this, THEN WE DISCOVERED THE SECRET. ONLY deal is that it will take just a little time on Saturday or any other day of the week to get it in place. CHILDREN SHOULD HAVE ONLY ONE CHOICE OF CLOTHES TO WEAR!!!! It is their "Sunday" uniform. They don't wear it ANY OTHER TIME. It reminds them to behave and that they have special clothes on. make sure the clothes are ones that are wash and wear NO IRONING stuff. They now make boys shirts that are wash and wear no ironing. Everyones clothes are all together in one place like the front closet SO NO whining about where they are. Shoes too. WE used to play the shoe game on Monday's. WHO can find the most shoes in the house and pile them all up in the living room that way you know where they are and sort them out and them put the Sunday shoes in the closet with the clothes.

nathalie said...

woaaw!!! it s impossible to resist for a laic as me!!!(i am french and our sundays are really cool as we say here !)i love your humour and your courage but i say to myself we are big lazy!!!i think we have a nonchalance may be ,and we are so latin for many things!!!have a great day , amitiés et à bientot , Nathalie from France

Post a Comment

go ahead....make my day.